Monday, December 19, 2011

Tradition #5-A Sweet House

Another favorite tradition of ours is to put together and decorate a gingerbread house.  I remember my Mom making a gingerbread house every year for Christmas.  She would wake up bright and early and bake and cut the gingerbread before we all woke up.  Waking up to house filled with the smell of gingerbread baking will be something I will never forget. 

I have made a few gingerbread houses by scratch many, many years ago before having children, and let me tell you it is not a simple project.  The gingerbread has to be baked just right to be able to cut and construct the house perfectly.  I don't know how my Mom did it every year!  Eventhough I miss the smell of freshly baked gingerbread, I will happily purchase and construct the premade houses for my children.  It is just so much easier.   



Each box you purchase comes with bag of sugar mixture you can use to decorate, but I find that my Mom's royal icing recipe works better.  It hardens and holds the house together more quickly. 

Royal Icing:
3 Egg Whites
1lb. Powdered Sugar
1/2 t. cream of tartar

*Beat icing for 7-10 minutes
Cover with towel when not using so it doesn't dry out.

~Amy

No comments: