This weekend we headed to Greenbluff to visit Seimer's, our favorite farm. We made it through the corn maze, rode the "choo choo" trains and picked some perfect Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins. It was a beautiful October morning.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
Aside from tossing some cinnamon onto the apples and pouring the caramel mixture on the apples prior to adding the lattice crust, I followed the recipe above. It was easier than I thought and tasted delicious. Think I will have to start attempting to make pies more often.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! Happy Baking!